Chic Review: Majem Raincoat
Think back to the last time you cycled to work or anywhere in the rain. If you live in Amsterdam you probably don’t have to think too far back, for you, what was the most dreaded part? For me it’s not the commute itself but the clingy, cold, wet jeans I’m stuck sitting in at my desk for hours after my ride. Until recently I thought the only option was to either accept the wet jeans and be stylish with a traditional raincoat, or go for the function over fashion route by wearing one of those Ikea ponchos and looking like “a potato” as one of my colleagues so nicely pointed out (you know who you are).
Until I found Majem rainwear- where fashion truly meets function.
I first encountered Majem while walking through Modefabriek on a work inspiration trip and this coat caught my eye. I was immediately drawn to it’s unique silhouette and smart style.
It was beautiful, I was intrigued, and after speaking to the owner I was almost sold; but being a product person I needed to give it an “on bike in rain” test ride (or rides) before I could truly make up my mind.
Designed in Amsterdam and made from recycled plastic, Majem was created with the urban commuter in mind. The coat runs long for extra protection on and off your bike I’m 174cm (5’7″), wearing a small, and it hits just below my knee. Whether you are commuting in a suit or jeans, to work or just getting around town, it has you covered.
What makes this jacket unique are the two side zippers that allow for a quick transformation from a raincoat to a stylish poncho depending on the amount of rain protection you need that day.
My favorite part about this coat, aside from the obvious function and style points; I never got overheated or sweaty. The relaxed fit and the fact you can make it into a poncho creates enough airflow that you don’t get as much interior cold, wet of other rainwear garments.
- You’re covered from head to toe= dry happy jeans
- Functions as a raincoat & poncho when needed
- Adjustable well-fitting hood w/ good brim (so important!)
- Two secure front hand pockets
- Smart unique design = Fashion + function
- You feel super snazzy wearing one
- Locally designed
- Sustainable material
- No damp cling
- Guaranteed inquisitive compliments when wearing
Cons (that really aren’t cons but help make for a more balanced review):
- Could use a fit adjustment tab at waist
- Currently only available in black and off white (Pink & grey are coming in SS18!)
- Unisex sizes, not necissarily a bad thing just may lead to a roomier fit on some
What more can I say, this coat has won me over.
Traditionally the coats are €135,00. However, Majem is offering an exclusive discount to Amsterdam Cycle Chic readers.
From August 22nd- September 22nd when you enter AMSTERDAMCC at checkout you will receive €25 off, plus free shipping on your purchase at http://www.majem.nl/
Or if you are a local and love an in shop experience Majem jackets can be found at the following retailers:
- They have their own shop on the Molsteeg 8 – Next to Magna Plaza
- VERSE Goodstore on the Prinsengracht
- Pop-up Passage at Central Station officially opening Sept. 7th
In the meantime, be sure to check out their beautiful Instagram @majemdesign and tag us both after your first Majem dry ride! #majem #amsterdamcyclechic
I wont’t sign off hoping for more rain but I will say cheers to more dry rides!
And as Majem says “enjoy the rain”.