I love seeing old photos and footage from back in the day. The Eye has a great collection of these old films and this one caught my attention.
A little history lesson: this was when about 80% of all trips were made by bike. Now about 60% of all trips are made by bicycle in the city center. Amazing right?
And look at the people. So simply chic with their hats and jackets. Sitting upright on their oh-so-Dutch bikes. Love it.
The top 3 loved photos on our Instagram this month are…
Best wishes for 2016!
2015 was a great year. As an ode to all the fantastic shots our team captured in 2015 and all our loyal followers, we’ve put together a short list of the top 5 things to look forward to this year in Amsterdam – doubled up with our most popular blog and Instagram posts of 2015.
1. Several days (at least) of non-stop sun sometime between March 23 and September 17. Otherwise, don’t forget to smile while you squint and bear the rainy weather.
2. Doubling up with a lover (or a stranger). The best part about getting around in this city is pairing up – on one bike is cozy, but side-by-side works just as well. Our cyclists of the month from February love doubling!
4. Spotting adorable children and their (stylish) mamas. This black and white made waves on Facebook and Instagram. And photos of our own Aude (who now has two little ones) was the most-seen post of the year!
5. Discovering a new favorite corner in this fantastic city. By bike, of course! Maybe a new cafe or a nice view – where ever it is, let it be all yours.
A huge thanks to all our readers and followers this year! We are grateful for your loyalty and we wouldn’t still be around if it wasn’t for you. From all of us at Amsterdam Cycle Chic, happy new year!
If you follow us on Instagram, you might have seen this already. It got so much love on the social media networks that we thought it deserves its own post on the blog.
So, here you go. This is how it’s done.
This guy is 100% Amsterdam. Riding one-handed along the beautiful Amstel, cruising with the dog, black panniers flapping in the breeze, and sporting the tweed and the slicked-back silver hair.
Seriously Amsterdam. Seriously cool.
There are Christmas trees buzzing around the city every day, being wheeled, placed and decorated in homes, all over Amsterdam!
This handsome fellow has made his catch, and making the journey look easy! … 12 sleeps to go!
Although some Amsterdammers are brightening the urban landscape with their turquoise delight, on this dark and stormy Friday others are more into keeping it dark and classic. We can’t have enough black coats, jeans, and boots to match our black bikes.
It’s officially the cold, grey, rainy season here in the ‘Dam, so it’s a breath of fresh air to see some colour around. This girl is rocking some turquoise locks, and has a cool bike to match! Even her backpack is smiling :)
We don’t need much gear for cycling in the rain – maybe a poncho if you remember to grab it as you rush out the door. Sometimes I see rainpants. Or huge capes.
Umbrellas are pretty common too – again, if you remember it. This little girl has it figured out:
- get comfy in the cargo bike
- shield yourself from the rain with a bright and super cute umbrella
- relax and let mom do all the work
One of my favourite spots to work is Brazuca Coffee on Ferdinand Bol and Ceintuurbaan. Not only do they offer excellent and curiously strong coffee – but it comes with a fantastic and exciting view of one of the busiest intersections in Amsterdam. And will only get busier with the new metro line opening up across the street.
Watching all the movement on this intersection is mesmerising. It looks like a whole lot of chaos – with people walking, driving, cycling all over the place – but it’s actually highly organised. I never see any crashes, or even close-calls.
Now that’s what I call entertainment.